Tuesday 30 December 2008

ATI + 61 and Christmas Gifts

What joy! Wonderful! Brilliant! Fantastic! It's gone! That damn cast... gone forever; hopefully!

Things to do when a cast is removed:

1) Have a good scratch

2) Have a 30 minute shower

3) Compare limbs and wonder where the leg muscles went

4) Go for a walk to see if it hurts

 DSC00262

Things not to do when a cast is removed:

1) Scratch too hard

2) Get in the shower before figuring out a way of getting out of it again

3) Worry about how to get the muscles back

4) Walk too far - 'cos it will inevitably hurt

 

Unbelievably, no supporting bandages and no physio required. In actual fact, I quite happy to complete the rest of the recovery process myself.

Today part of this recovery process involved a 40 minute walk in my new North Face Cedar Ridge hiking boots; a surprise Christmas gift from Mrs P.  ("You won't slip down ditches with those on," said Mrs P on Christmas day. "The man in the shop said so. He also said they are the best ankle supporting boots on the market.") I also got 2 pairs of Brasher 4000 hiking socks and a set of thermals.

IMGA0373

The boots certainly did support the ankle extremely well, although I didn't try the ditch for obvious reasons. Although walking stiffly, I felt little or no discomfort. I was also ably assisted by Ashley's (naturalbushcraft) fantastic gift of a Polecat walking pole kindly donated by him during my darkest hours.

So, I hereby declare I'm fit enough for the first meet of the year; a 3 day meet this weekend down at Mark's wood. Temperature is expected to be -2C. A good chance to test out my new Alpkit 800 down bag and those Christmas thermals.

Happy New Year to everyone for Thursday.

Pablo.

No comments: