Sunday 21 December 2008

ATI + 52 and a Walk in the Woods

IMGA0362

This is the conversation that took place between Pablo and his team of eminent physicians at the hospital last Monday.

Dr - So, it's been 4 weeks now in a cast.

Pablo - It's been 6 weeks.

Dr - Oh, right. Let me see (consults notes). Ah, yes - 6 weeks. So we're going to put on another cast after repositioning the foot.

Pablo - No, we're taking the cast off and putting on a heal raise.

Dr - Well, it's a bit soon.

Pablo - I was told 2 weeks ago by the plaster technician to bring my other shoe and a heal raise.

Dr - It seems there's been a mix up on the dates.

Pablo - Really?

Dr - Yes.

Pablo - Perhaps that accounts for me attending here in week two and being told I need not have come.

Dr - Well, it does appear that there's been a mix up on the dates.

Pablo - I would suggest you never work in the Cardiology department.

No response.

IMGA0369

[Pablo then hobbles to see the plaster technician]

PT - OK, we're leaving this cast on for another two weeks.

Pablo - No, we're taking this cast off and repositioning the foot to the normal position and putting on a new cast.

PT - Oh... right. I'd better check with the doctor.

Pablo - Yes. You'd better check with the doctor.

[Plaster technician returns after 5 minutes]

PT - Right. We're taking this cast off and repositioning the foot to the normal position and putting on a new cast.

Pablo - Excellent. I thought you might. By the way, what shall I do with the heal raise you told me to bring last time.

PT - Well, it does seem you've had a bit of bad luck with the dates.

Pablo - Yes. Bad luck really does follow me around in this hospital. I'm not too sure why.

PT - There we go. All done. See you in two weeks with the heal raise.

Pablo - Are you sure?

IMGA0364

Despite yet another set back and a couple of day's pain after repositioning the foot, I took advantage of today's fine weather and walked further than I have in the last 7 weeks - but of course, keeping to the solid paths of the Forestry Commission's Broaks Wood.

IMGA0365

Bill (who's staying with us for a while) and Mrs P. had great fun galloping ahead then doubling back while I advanced slowly to catch them up. I really must get Billy a camo jacket.

IMGA0366

My new "tracking shoe" helped me keep my foot level to the ground and stopped the cast getting wet and muddy. Hiking socks kept the cold air off my delicate toes.

It felt great walking some distance even if I did have to rely heavily on my walking stick - the crutches were thankfully discarded on this occasion. There appeared to be no painful after effects from the exercise.

IMGA0367

On this day of the winter solstice I took in the quiet, sleeping woods and looked forward to the time when they would awake. With any luck, I'd be there when they did.

Thanks for the visit.

Pablo.

No comments: