Monday 5 January 2009

Cold, Cold Camp

After arriving at the yard and being transported by Mark's 'Bush-taxi' I considered the potentially hazardous and undulating final 100 yards into the camp. I needn't have worried. Adam and Mike had built a bridge over the largest ditch for me to step across. With mates like that you just know that you will be in safe hands for the rest of the weekend. I named the bridge 'Pablo's Pass' as a genuine tear came to my eye.

IMGA0394

We settled into a routine of collecting wood and sawing it up ready for the cold, cold night that was expected. We discussed how short the days were and how much work you have to do while there was still some daylight to work by. It certainly helps to have a group of people to share the work.

IMGA0381

I had brought both hammock/tarp and tipi; but I wanted to try out the tipi in anger. I was still unsure of sleeping on the ground but I had to give it a go. The others' had a mixture of bivi's with tarps and hammocks with one other tipi dweller. No one had a really uncomfortable sleep, but it was only -4C and warm compared with the following night.

IMGA0383

On Saturday, after a leisurely breakfast, we had a Woodlife Network AGM as all 5 of the management team happened to be there. We then got stuck into some individual tasks. Mike making a buck saw, Sean having a go at bow-drill, George making a northern shelter, Mark helping everyone out, Ben spoon-making and me trying to make an oil lantern (I'll put up the manufacturing stages later).

IMGA0426

Again, we had to prepare copious amounts of wood for the stew and for a long fire for later in the evening.

IMGA0439

The stew was a fantastic beef stew and dumplings prepared by Mark and Andy. As the temperature dropped, we discussed different methods of keeping warm. Insulation both in terms of clothing and insulation from the cold ground were the first obvious steps. And of course food and a hot drink. Before we turned in we planned to make hot water bottles from our water containers to pre-heat our sleeping bags. Alcohol probably isn't the best thing to keep warm; nevertheless, a few kuksas full of different substances were passed around.

IMGA0393

Every now and again, someone would race up to check the temperature. It was -6C at 8 o'clock and depending were you were on the slope, it plummeted to -10C  later in the evening.

IMGA0388

The morning saw the condensation on the inside of my tipi frozen and a thin layer ice on the outside of it. Despite this I felt no ill affects waking only once during the night. My new Alpkit SkyHigh 800 and thermarest provided all the warmth (I'll do a full review later) and apart from the condensation problem, I was pleased with the tipi/sleeping bag combination.

IMGA0386

Andy and Maverick had Exped SynMat 7s, which are very worthy considerations for ground-dwellers (although a bit pricey.) George comfortably survived his night in his Northern shelter. In fact nobody felt any ill affects from the cold weather although on this occasion there was little wind chill to take into consideration.

IMGA0453

All in all this was another great weekend with great company and a challenging cold weather scenario. Thanks to everybody there for making it a great first post-injury excursion for me.

Thanks for the visit.

Pablo.

No comments: