Sunday 2 August 2009

An Annoying Week

Last Tuesday, a sebaceous cyst I had on my neck became infected. Since then I've not been able to turn my head very well. I've felt decidedly ropey all week. This meant that I've wasn't able to do the planned solo overnighter in Poor Park on Saturday. In fact I felt so bad, I did nothing on Saturday.

Well, that's not strictly true. I decided to do some bushy admin. I replenished all my first aid kits, did some video editing, sharpened some knives and made some Woodlife keyrings.

IMGA0244

Today was a little better and I was at least able to put a backpack on and visit Outfield woods.

IMGA0796

On the way I spent some time watching the insect activity on the Ragweed and Thistle. This farmer leaves a good margin on his fields. It certainly attracts a myriad of different insect species...

IMGA0812

...including this Painted lady and a Peacock behind it.

Outfield woods were dark and dank. These really are strange woods with a strange atmosphere, but I still like going there. There is zero human activity. The woods have not been managed for decades and the result is too much canopy cover resulting in very little floor vegetation and thus very few insect and birds.

IMGA0258

Fallow deer pass through and sometimes a Fox or a Hare. It is the Fallow I go and see. I usually see them almost immediately and today was no exception, but I wasn't particularly quiet and they stayed on the fringes of the woods.

The wood is a a hazel coppice and there's plenty of of opportunity to cut a nice straight tracking sticks.

IMGA0815

I call this tree the tracking stick tree.

After a light lunch I made my way back just glad to get out. Back to the quacks tomorrow. This thing isn't disappearing as fast as I would like.

Thanks for the visit.

Pablo.

No comments: