Wednesday 5 November 2008

Adapt and Overcome (By Buying Stuff)

Firstly, thank you all for your kind comments about the injury. Honestly, I was overwhelmed.

To answer some questions in bulk - yes, that was a deer staring at me. Can't you see it grinning? Yes, the demi-john is full of gin (summer fruits mix). Yes, my legs are scary - however they have beaten Kriss Akabusi (on one occasion!)

This is the last post about the injury except perhaps to update on progress every now and again. I'll get back to the outdoors posts -from indoors (if you see what I mean) next time.

The treatment plan is to keep the foot in plaster for 2-weeks. It's got to be elevated at all times and no pressure on the foot. The foot was angled downwards with toes pointing to the floor before the plaster was put on (that smarted) so it's almost impossible to put the foot down anyway.

achilles tendon2

Every two weeks the foot will be lifted, re-positioned (looking forward to that) and re-plastered until on the sixth week it will be in its normal position. At this time or shortly after it should be able to bear weight and then the physiotherapy can be started.

I found a Mountain Bike forum which charted the same injury for two of its members and found some very useful information. The worst fear is a re-rupture, which actually happened to one of the members. Unfortunately, this is a pretty common occurrence. The message put across was not to rush things, take it easy and don't start your activity too soon. It's only after 9 months (!) that you can safely carry out intensive activity. I think wandering in the woods won't count as intensive activity, but I'm still going to have to be extremely careful walking up hills on uneven ground, carrying weight and of course slipping and stumbling.

The Achilles tendon is the longest and strongest tendon in the body. It is prone to damage because of the stresses and strains put on it. I'm not surprised if my previous years of intensive track and field competition haven't weakened it somewhat. Unfortunately, this is an injury which probably takes the longest time to heal.

So what have I been doing? As the swelling subsided, the pain got a bit worse, but it seems ok now. I don't really like taking tablets but found that Paracetamol and Ibrobrufen taken together is a very effective pain-killer (as recommended by the hospital.)

I've started to exercise the rest of my body (no use letting the rest of it waste away) but no 'shrafting projects as yet except the odd bit of knife sharpening.  I've been looking at leather work stuff, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm going to have to seek advice from the leatherwork gurus on the forums.

Getting around is a pain but already I've adapted by thinking like you do in the outdoors. The key is to be organised. I've got a shoulder bag to put all the things I normally leave laying about the house (phone, book, pipe, lighter, sweets.) I also make a flask of tea in the morning (saves spilling cups when hopping about!) Mrs P didn't allow me to set up a Trangia in the lounge. Lunchtime sandwiches are also stored in the shoulder bag.

I can see this is injury is going to be expensive. I've already bought knife on Ebay since being off. It's just a comfort purchase to make me feel better - you know how it is ;)

All the best,

Pablo.

No comments: