Tuesday 2 September 2008

The Wilderness Gathering

  We returned from the Wilderness Gathering on Sunday. As promised by the illustrious weather forecasters (who actually got it right on this occasion) we had 3 days of dry weather (one particularly sunny and warm) and the final day wet. It just so happened that the downpours were just prior to packing up; therefore we had to pack away wet kit. IMGA0022

The Gathering itself was a great affair. Four days of wandering around the stalls debating whether this or that purchase should be made or not and admiring the items that were out of our price range!

To be honest, many items (especially the knives) were totally over-priced. I don't know why, but I formed an idea that  things may be a little cheaper there. I was certainly wrong about that! It was good to talk to some of the makers though and actually have a feel of some of the goods. I was on the look out for a small, thin handled neck knife and came away with one in D2 by Mike Snody. IMGA0035

The lack of obvious bargains didn't stem my determination to get some tracking boots or moccasins, and I'm pleased I was able to try on some before purchase. I rejected what I thought would be my first choice (Rogue Desert boots) because the tread was almost non-existent. I finally settled on the most expensive (typical) but wonderful hand made tracking boots by Roger Harrington that feel like a pair of slippers.

I purchased a few other odds and ends as shown in the photo and I'll try to describe these as and when I use them at a later date. DSCN3029

Although there were a few workshops going on, I didn't sit at them for any great length of time. The majority were run by full time bushcraft schools which certainly had the advantage of portraying a professional image unlike some Bushmeets, where the reliance is on willing volunteers.

There was plenty of craft stuff going on including a forge, some basket weaving an d green woodworking. I didn't see a lot of leathercraft going on though.

DSCN3007

The greatest benefit of the Gathering was meeting up with people, renewing acquaintances and making new ones.

I caught up with the Shadowhawk Tracking School crew and had a long chat with Max Maxwell. I'll go into that in more detail at a later date. It was also good to see a number of other old friends and I was quite surprised how many people recognised me! I'll have to shave off this beard - or grow a longer one! IMGA0026

On Saturday, a few "Woodlifers" from the network got together and had a chat. It was great to put faces to names. There were still a few there who weren't able to make the photo shoot as they were busy helping out at various stalls or workshops.

The evenings were spent around the fire with dubious concoctions in unrecognisable containers. The field campers looked pretty uncomfortable on what looked to me like a pretty steep slope. The wood dwellers looked a little cramped in their area and I was pleased I was with the Tribe in their own site. IMGA0038

I'm not sure whether I would go for the full 4 days again. It wasn't a cheap four days by any means and I had the impression that the stalls were "more of the same" and overpriced. Nevertheless, it was very well organised. Huge credit should go to the organisers and the staff. I enjoyed meeting up with folk and generally having a good time. 

Cheers for now.

No comments: