Sunday 28 September 2008

Surge of Activity

Have you noticed that the wildlife is getting busier? There seems to be a lot more bird and mammal activity as the autumn starts to kick in.

IMGA0206

A good indicator of this surge of activity is the number of different tracks that have suddenly appeared on the main pathways of my local wood. The last time I went to identify tracks in this area about a month  ago, very little was to be seen.

Today, in my local wood, it was like a mini motorway.

There was badger...

IMGA0217

Fox...

IMGA0215

Muntjac...

IMGA0221

Rabbit...

IMGA0222

Cat(!?)

IMGA0216

Not sure what the tracks between the fox tracks are. It could be weasel.

IMGA0220

It was a beautiful weekend here and despite family commitments that stopped me going to the East Sussex meet, I was able to get out for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday, in Poor Park, I must have just missed some fallow deer laying up in my camp (no less - the cheek!) There were signs where they had scraped away the surface debris and in this photo you can see a dark urination patch (dead centre of picture). I deducted they were there perhaps 30 minutes before I came  along.

IMGA0201

Today, I soaked up the sun as the temperature pushed its way into the 20's. After five hours in the woods I came home, sat outside with a beer and ate some strawberries. What a life!

No comments: