Tuesday 22 December 2009

There's No Business Like Snow Business

 

IMG_1246

We've had some snow in the last few days. Although it's been disruptive for some I've loved going out and either watching Bill run about...

IMG_1256

... or doing some trailing and tracking in the snow.

IMG_1087 
I shouldn't need to say but it's the track patterns which are the essential in snow and not necessarily the individual prints which can be distorted by melt and refreeze. You can learn a lot just by looking at the series of prints.

IMG_1070

IMG_1061 

By way of a change on Sunday, I spotted a pair of Muntjac sunning themselves at the edge of the field and I decided to try and stalk up close. They were about 150 yards away...

IMG_1187

I crept up closer and closer across the field.

IMG_1195

There was a chill cross wind and my exposed fingers were getting pretty cold holding the camera - but I got ever closer, conscious of the creaking ice and snow beneath my feet.

IMG_1202

The two seemed to be very close; perhaps adult and this years young. They seemed preoccupied with licking each other and themselves ...

IMG_1210

...and still I got closer...

IMG_1212 
Just when I thought my luck was going to run out, the adult turned and walked directly toward me. She just seemed to ignore me.  I tried to relax and shrink into the landscape. One last photo at about 20 feet...

IMG_1218

...and she was off but not too far. I actually trailed her for another 40 yards or so before she bolted into the woods. An unbelievable experience which made my day.

IMG_1142

It only remains to wish you, your families and loved ones the best of the season and I hope you have a very happy and safe holiday.

Pablo.

No comments: