Wednesday 7 October 2009

Pablo's Great Adventure - Health and Fitness

You can't go on an expedition to Africa without getting advice about inoculations. It's also advisable to have little fitness training behind you.

My fitness has been an uphill struggle because from October last year until about April I was literally immobile because of a ruptured Achilles tendon. After the go ahead from the physios, I was determined to put a few miles behind me in preparation for the trip and I've been in training for about a month now.

My reasoning is that it's going to be hot and I don't want to be struggling with extra body weight. I also want to be able to walk some distance without having to worry about being puffing and panting or being uncomfortable. In short, the less I have to worry about, the more I will enjoy the trip. I've already lost half a stone but I need to lose another half. I'm walking and running a mile and a half and I want to raise this to 3 miles walk and run before I go.

 

syringe

As far health and inoculations are concerned, I'm in the hands of the experts; well the NHS anyway. After 3 visits to the local surgery and five injections later, I feel like a pin-cushion. I've had Hep A and B and tetanus boosters, typhoid, and something else. I was past caring at the last visit. It must have shown as it was the injection that hurt the most!

I had to order my Malaria tablets as well. These were the most costly items and left a £68-97 pence hole in my account! Now that was painful! I was assured that these are the Rolls Royce of Malaria tablets and will have no side effects. We shall see, but at least I stand less chance of catching this nasty disease.

So, it's full steam ahead with only 31 days to go!

No comments: