Wednesday 14 October 2009

Pablo's Great Adventure - Equipment

Some equipment will be loaned to us for the duration of the expedition, which is just as well because the weight limit for the small aircraft from Windhoek to Hobatere and Mopane bushvelt is 15kgs.

 highlander loader

This is what will be loaned  to us:

  • Safari style tents.

  • Waterproof bed roll and mattress (swag) quilt, pillow

  • Machete/Panga.

  • Axes

This is what's on the kit list:

  • Holdall or rucksack (equipment is carried on top vehicles between locations). I bought the Highlander 100 litre bag shown above for £28-00.

  • Water bottle (1 ltr min) and mug (Crusader - obviously)

  • Knife, fork and spoon (What's a knife and fork?)

  • Billy can (preferable) or mess tin (for cooking over open fires) (Old faithful Tracpac will be coming along)

  • Fixed blade sheath type knife (probably clipper or EKA W11)

  • Small pocket knife (SAK Hunter)

  • Whistle

  • Small day-sack (see below)

  • 10 metres of strong nylon cord

  • Note book and pencil

  • Wash bag

  • Camelbak water bladder or similar (Check)

  • Binoculars or scope (optional, but recommended)

  • Water bag (min 6 ltr) (MSR)

  • Orienteering compass

  • Head torch and spare batteries

I certainly won't be adding to that list except to pack my normal belt and possible pouch.

I haven't decided which day sack to take as yet but it will most probably be my super light-weight Camelbak Cloud Walker (which I bought for Mrs P's cycling and forgot to give back after borrowing it!)

 

CamelbakCldWker

This weekend I'm off to Devon with Shadowhawk. There's a full house of students and I'm instructing and also assessing some of the instructors (at their request). I'm also going to be put through the mill myself with some advanced tests and an exam(!!) Nothing like a bit of pressure!

Thanks for the visit.

No comments: