Sunday 21 June 2009

Lowt's wood In June

I went to Lowt's wood for the first time in eight months. I haven't been there before now because it's quite a walk in and most of the wood is accessible only by climbing a steep slope. Having said that, it's one of my favourite woods. It's very quiet and despite being unmanaged, it looks nice.

IMGA0466

I crept into the wood in case there was some Fallow deer about, but on this occasion there wasn't. I meandered my way along the lower level and then climbed the steep slope to the higher parts of the wood. I stopped on the west side for a bit of lunch.

IMGA0460

It was quiet with only a few birds and the distant mewing of a Buzzard. My lunch was bacon and eggs with beans cooked in the primus frying pan on my Optimus crux stove amongst the seeding heads of the spent Bluebells.

IMGA0489

I took the opportunity to sort out my utility bag. I'm now carrying it in a drop bag so I can just put it any one of my rucksacks I take out with me.

IMGA0464 (2)

After a bit of lunch I went to the south side of the wood and out into the field. The sun had come out and I was immediately attracted to the hedgerow where numerous insects had settled in the blazing heat.

IMGA0475

Despite wanting to do a small carving project, I was kept fascinated by the comings and goings of the various insects, dragonfly and butterflies.

IMGA0485

I spotted this Painted-lady speeding it's way across the field and eventually it settled on the hedgerow. These come all the way from Africa. Apparently, they arrived in their thousands in May.

IMGA0469 

The dragonflies were represented by a single Common blue.

IMGA0457

Large white

I spotted two types of caterpillar, the peacock butterfly (above) and large white butterfly.

IMGA0491

The day ended with the usual snooze amongst the leaf litter back on the lower of the wood before I headed home.

Thanks for the visit.

Pablo.

No comments: