Thursday 4 June 2009

The 8:30 Sett

On a whim, I decided to visit my local badger sett again. I wasn't too sure whether they would appear at the same time as the last time I visited or whether they would wait until it was nearer to dusk. By all accounts from other badger watchers, they should appear around the same time.

Badgerjune091

I arrived late and only 5 minutes before the allotted time at 8:30. I just had time to climb the 10 foot mound, make my way a few yards along the top of the bank and position myself on the top of the bank to look down overlooking the entrance.

No sooner had I positioned myself when out came the big boar (and the clock struck 8:30).  I caught a glimpse of what I thought was the smaller adult female before she darted back into the entrance hole. Meanwhile, big brock foraged along the bank.

I was probably spotted as I hadn't really had time to conceal myself properly so I gave up early and went home. Time on sett - exactly 15 minutes. When I look back on the hours I spent in the freezing cold waiting for the buggers to come out!

Anyway. Here are some moving pictures. Short but sweet.

Thanks for the visit.

No comments: