Sunday 7 June 2009

Lazy Weekend

Badgerhole1

With the promise of a much needed down-pour, I decided to stay around the cave this weekend and not go to the woods. Mrs P christened it the cave because it's so cold in winter and (allegedly) I'm too mean to put the heating on.

Badgerhair1 

I wandered over to the badger sett on Saturday morning and trimmed back the undergrowth. I wondered how the badgers would react but I thought I would try. The trouble is, if I left it there's no way I would be able to see them until the autumn. I spent a little time looking around the entrance studying some of the badger hair which was there in abundance.

Badger2

They certainly knew something was wrong when I went to the sett in the evening. It wasn't until 9 o'clock when they made an appearance. The first out was the female adult. She was very skittish and kept darting back into the sett. The boar wasn't so bothered. He came out and went straight down the embankment and started foraging in the field. A white/grey badger bottom was all that was presented to the camera!

 

I thought I would leave them to it. I'll leave it for a few days until I visit again. On the way back I was distracted by the Barn owl quartering the field. I followed him for a good twenty minutes in the Land Rover, watching him work hard, flying at low level and then suddenly stopping to hover for a while over potential prey. In that time, I didn't see him catch anything.

The much needed rain came on Sunday morning. I was determined to clean up my studio and clear the floor of camo and bushcraft kit, but I got distracted by an idea to make a small pouch for my SAK. At the moment the SAK resides in an Opinel pouch. It's a good fit but it really needs a dangler system as it digs in when I'm wearing a backpack. I enjoyed was listening to the heavy rain whilst working away on with the leather.

IMGA0350

It wasn't long until I'd knocked something up. I wasn't too pleased about the embossing, but it's at least functional.

Mmmmm... I still didn't get round to cleaning my room!

Thanks for the visit.

No comments: