Sunday 16 March 2008

Kenwick Woods - Final Day











Today was the day! Whether I was inspired by the lack of wind and rain (at last) or the non stop reading of Tim Butcher's Blood River - a story of the author's attempt to follow in H.M. Stanley's footsteps along the Congo - I bounced out of bed and prepared for a hike.

I had poured over the maps and I had set my own "expedition" objectives. The first was to seek out the twin ponds at Hagham Pasture and the other was to visit Legbourne Wood.

I had already discovered that I couldn't go through Maltby Wood because of the conifir plantation, so I went towards the golf course and picked up a public footpath that took me across the course itself and a couple of fields. This way I would circumnavigate the plantation and hopefullyfind the next tract of woodland which was my first objective.

On the way I noticed some Badger tracks. It appeared to be striding purposefully towards the 16th hole. A bizzare vision of a Badger with golf clubs on its back entered my head. Golf courses are pretty good for watching wildlife. At least some effort is made to make a man-made landscape into something interesting with pond and lake hazards and areas of woodland split by fairways. I don't play golf myself. I was hit by a golf ball in the face when it was in full flight when I was five out with my father and it kinda put me off the game. I suffered no other ill effects
except for strange images of golf-playing Badgers now and again.

I made my way into a small village and turned south to follow the woodland edge. I was hugely disappointed to find that the woodland shown on the map to my right was again barren from the spread of the plantation. This meant a good 100 acres had been given over to the production of "Christmas Trees" - as the sign said on the entrance to the site. Bloody shame I say.

I followed the road and turned off onto a public footpath that skirted the wood on the south east side. At last... some decent woods. Celandine and snow drops were on show and Dofg mercury told me it was ancient woodland. This was a pleasant albeit short walk. I paced out exactly 200 yards before a sign stated "End of Public Right of Way - Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted." Well, this might be Lincolnshire, but it was still in England when I last looked and trespassing wasn't an offence.

I was getting a little dismayed at the number of signs that stated this around here. The Essex/Suffolk border where I come from is probably just as rural but nowhere near as forceful in its exclusion. I wondered why. I also tried to put myself in the landowners position. I decided I would rigorously vet applicants who required access but wouldn't threaten the casual visitor in this way.

At last I reached my destination another mile down the road. Haugham Pasture was a long piece of woodland with two large ponds at the south west end. I sat just inside the wood and gazed for a good half and hour at the ponds. There was evidence of deer in the area but I only noticed a Coot and a Moorhen on the pond itself.

I decided to make my way back to the Public footpath at the SE side of Maltby Woods. I would sit in there and have some lunch. On the way I saw a Stoat dive out into the road. It ran away from me and I pursued hoping to get a photo of him. I hadn't seen a Stoat for years and years and I was thrilled to see one. The black tip to his tail gave it away immediately. I lost him after a few seconds but I was pretty sure I found an entrance to a run or den.

Maltby Woods was a peaceful place to have some lunch and this was the first time I felt really comfortable in the woods around here. I spent about an hour and a half meandering around the narrow strip of woodland; and even ventured up to the evil barbed wire that seperated this wonderful piece of ancient woodland with what used to be its sibling; now a barren conifer plantation. I tried to imagine the complete woods how it should have been. I became a little depressed. I'm not normally this sensitive, but I was beginning to build up a picture of the second largest county in England. And it wasn't a particularly impressive one from where I was standing at the moment.

I shuffled back to the road, making enough noise to awake the sleeping county and disturbed a Woodcock in the process. I decided to cancel my second objective at Legbourne Woods. I was getting a feel for the area and there was just no way I would be able to cross the land that seperated me from those woods.

I made my way back the way I came, which I don't really like doing. I had at least achieved one objective and my aching legs told me I had walked a good 6 miles or so. Not exactly the length of the Congo but good enough for me.

My final task was to relax in the pool, hit the sauna and steam room and get some good old Fish and Chips from the local town. Tomorrow I was going home. I had thoroughly enjoyed my stay. It had been relaxing and I had done everything I wanted.

The highlight of the trip was the Seal Sanctuary and tracking on the sand dunes. I'd not seen a great deal of wildlife, but was pleased with the sight of the Stoat. It was a strange old county though. No disrepect to anyone that lives there; but... I'm not sure whether I'll be back in a hurry.

Thanks for the visit.

Pablo.

No comments: