Sunday 9 March 2008

5 Star Bushcraft

How's about this...

"Get some bushcraft kit together. Pack up a box of food (don't forget to include beer and some brandy). Take your notebook, drawing kit, bligging thing (laptop to do blogs) and drive a couple hours to a wooden lodge in the middle of a wood on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds and stay there for a week. Oh and don't forget your swimwear."


Uh??

This was what I was presented with by Mrs P last week. What a great gift! A week of intense wildlife, bushcraft, tracking and chilling out on my own; all in the 5 star comfort of a fully appointed lodge complete with the use of hotel facilities half a mile down the road. Not quite wilderness living - more like 5 star bushcraft! But a great opportunity to do some serious wildlife watching and exploration from a permanent base.

I actually think it's a cunning plan to get me away from my Grandson for a week. Everybody truly believes I'm going to kidnap him and take him for his first excursion in the woods.

I've no idea what the area provides wildlife wise, nor what the woods are like. Looking at the map there's a couple of nature reserves and three main, large wooded areas connected by narrow strips of woodland. On the OS map there appears to be several small lakes and a few streams. To the east a road leads to the coast about 10 miles away where there's a large sand dune system which harbours a coastal nature reserve.

When do I go? Tomorrow. Not sure what Internet facilities there are so I'll probably see you this time next week hopefully with a notebook full of adventures.

Now... Where's that beer?

Pablo.

No comments: