Saturday 15 March 2008

I'd noticed on the map that there was a large sand dune system on the coast and a coastal nature reserve. I set out to have a look.

It took about 30 minutes to drive there. On the way something occured to me. Something strange that I couldn't really put my finger on for a good while.

And then it dawned on me. No cars, or should I say very few cars. This place was deserted. I hadn't seen anything or anyone for 5 minutes. I checked the map and confirmed I was on an "A" road as planned. Even when I went through a couple of villages, there was very few people about. Maybe Lincolnshire was closed for the winter.

I was nearly at the coast when I saw a sign for a Seal Sanctuary and I diverted to follow the signs. This was the best thing I did that day. After parting with a fiver, I spent a good two hours wandering around the excellent site. Not only were there seals, but many other injured birds and mammals brought in by the public to be looked after by the staff.

They had also made the sanctuary into a interesting historical journey from prehistoric times to the present date covering geological and wildlife features. I learned quite a bit from the displayed fossilised tracks and other exhibits as well as looking at some replica prehistoric hunting artifacts, which they had cleverly termed as a prehistoric survival kit.

What I didn't realise is that huge tracts of land were burned down in order to bring out the mammals from the wooded areas in order to hunt them. Why I didn't previously realise this had happended I really don't know.

Of course the stars of the show were the seals who were as playful as expected in the water and as unelegant but endearing when basking in the sporadic bursts of sunshine on land. Needless to say, I was the only one at the Sanctuary and went around twice.

I carried on with my scheduled itinery and found access to the dunes and the shoreline. The tide was out and the sands marched out to the edge of the water about half a mile away. Standing on this sand I looked north and then south to both horizons. An uninterrupted view as far as the eye could see. And guess what? Yep... there was no one in sight.

I was beginning to feel like I was that prehistotric man depicted in the Sanctuary trying his luck gathering on the shorline with no one else for company. I hope he had better luck than me because apart from a few empty shells I found very little to forage.

I tried my luck in the dunes itself. Plenty of rabbits here but the sharp (unidentified) hard plant spikes made the going tough. I spotted a fox track intermingled with dog and spent the next half and hour following the various rabbit and fox trails up and down the dunes. I was having fun but my stomach told me it was about time to head back. I was surprisingly tired, but I still couldn't resist popping into the hotel swimming pool for a swim and a session in the sauna and steam room when I got back. What a life!

During the evening, night and through the next day, the second leg of the storm hit the Eastern counties. I decided that Wednesday was going to be an "in" day. I took up pen and drawing pad, read, watched a video, read, fell asleep and had things to eat not necessarily in that order. I didn't venture out all day.

No comments: