Sunday 4 July 2010

A Day out at Broaks and an Evening Safari

It has been a while since I went to Broaks wood, so I thought I go for the day to see what was about.

IMG_2453

“There’s a an Azure damselfly over there!” said a familiar voice.

“ I know, I’ve seen it”.

“You’re getting good!” said the dragonfly-man.

“I’ve had a good teacher over the years,” I replied.

IMG_2391

The sticks were already put in at angles around the pond, making it easy to focus on the larger four-spotted chasers.

IMG_2425

Of course, there was an abundance of wildflowers around the woods, including these common spotted orchids.

IMG_2400

I’m not sure how this mole met his demise, but it’s not the first time I’ve seen a dead mole in this exact spot.

IMG_2433

It’s the first time I’ve seen a red admiral this year.

IMG_2427

Great willowherb was seen on the side of some the paths.

IMG_2142

Closer to home, I went on an evening safari around the local area. I’ve got some exciting news to tell you soon about this area.

IMG_2377

Freshly cut hay means wildlife like this hare is easier to spot despite him trying to stay hidden by laying his ears down flat.

IMG_2137

On the edges of the seldom used paths, there’s plenty of low lying biting stonecrop.

IMG_2113

Newly hatched burnet moths feed on the scabious (field scabious I think)

Little Owl Pair

I managed to sneak up to about 10 yards to take this shot of two young little owls.

And so ended a great couple of days in the woods and the fields of Essex.

I hope you have a good week ahead.

Pablo's-Psmall

No comments: