Sunday 10 August 2008

A Face Only a Mother Could Love

Last week, Clive commented on the face shining out from the poncho like a beaming beacon! I totally agreed that this tends to spoil the otherwise reasonable camo effect.

DSC00525

I rectified this by nipping into the local airgun and camo shop during the week and bought a balaclava head type thing (the only way I can describe it). I thought about a face net, but as I wear specs, this might prove a little difficult to wear without getting tangled up.

I was a little dubious about wearing it, and terrified myself when I looked in the mirror. This is a garment that can only be worn in the woods!


Did it work? Well, despite not seeing very much wildlife on Saturday (in fact the total mammal sightings in 4 hours was one Grey squirrel) I ventured out to the woods today and spent a good few hours waiting patiently for the Fallow deer to appear. When that failed, I walked slowly and quietly around the outskirts of the wood and came across a Muntjac... again.

DSC00517

He seemed to be oblivious of me and I followed him at a distance of about 30 yards for a good 250 yards through the woods when he came to rest and turned to look straight at me. Like last week, I was on my knees but face on to the Muntjac this time. It was only when I moved sightly to the left that I noticed he had caught up with his mate, a darker female.

DSC00521

I've always thought of Muntjac as slightly ugly; a face that only a mother could love, but after studying this male for a good while I've kind of changed my mind. The facial markings are quite striking and actually quite nice. Anyway, I can talk! Mine's so ugly, I have to cover it completely so as not to scare everything off!

After a while, amazingly, he laid down while his mate kept watch. I swapped between still and video mode on the camera. There were some annoying branches in the way and I tried desperately for a better position. There was just no way I could get any closer. Every slight movement I made (I made a couple of deliberate ones to get a reaction) and the head snapped up and tried to make out what I was.

DSC00524

I've always thought of Muntjac as slightly ugly; a face that only a mother could love, but after studying this male for a good while I've kind of changed my mind. The facial markings are quite striking and actually quite nice. Anyway, I can talk! Mine's so ugly, I have to cover it completely so as not to scare everything off!

After a good while (it must have been 5 minutes) he got up and they were off. I lost them almost immediately in the tall undergrowth.


I'd like to think my camo balaclava helped. It certainly didn't do any harm and, stupid as it looks, it will now be a permanent part of my tracking/wildlife watching kit. I just won't go to the pub with it on!

Thanks for the visit.

Pablo.

No comments: