Sunday 6 April 2008

Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow

It doesn't happen very often but when it does, it's an all encompassing moment that grabs you refusing to let go for a great while. It's the epitomy of everything I try to strive for when I'm out in the natural environment.


I started yesterday off by tracking the lengths of the main paths in Mr J's Foxes Wood. It soon became clear that a large herd of Fallow deer frequent the woods, confirmed by distant sightings at the south end of the wood. I also managed to pick up Muntjac, Squirrel, medium sized dog tracks (accompanied by a female at a rough guess - judging by the width of the footwear mark) and a single Badger track. I also came across what I'm certain were Fox earths, which really confirms the name of the wood.


After discovering the main deer trails and finding out the popular lays, which took me a good few hours, I settled down for a bit of brunch.



The sun came out at intervals providing welcome warmth but there was a hint of icy wind which would herald snow forecast for the next 24 hours.


While tracking in the south east quadrant, I noticed 3 or 4 hares leaping about in the more open part of the woodland. I was determined to get a photo of them. I realised that it would probably not be possible to get close enough by stalking, so I settled down to wait at the base of an oak tree and tried to to keep as still as possible by using the zoning in technique. Only the chill breeze kept be from dropping off to sleep.


After about 20 minutes, I noticed a movement to my left. I readied my small camera and slowly, slowly moved to position myself toward the Hare. I waited as the almost comical hopping figure came closer and straight towards me. I got a couple of shots off and concentrated on studying the animal.


At 20 yards, I'd never been that close and I was amazed to see how streamlined and powerful the hare was. A sheer running machine with massive rear legs. The face was thin and almost designed to minimise wind resitance. Hares are still quite prevalent in East Anglia, but in other parts of the country they are becoming increasingly rarer.


This one appeared to be in no hurry whatsoever as it hopped slowly towards me. Closer and closer. I was careful not to look directly at it and kept the swivel lens of the camera on my lap, trying to focus as best I could through the screen.



The Hare passed in front of me at no more than 1o feet from my outstreatched legs (I measured it afterwards). It stopped sat down on it's haunches, looked directly at me and after about a minute slowly hopped on. Yes, it was one of those indescribable moments. I must have been accepted as part of the environment. I was no threat. I was just there, as close to nature as ever you can get.

Pablo.

No comments: