Wednesday 4 September 2013

A selection of the tried and trusted... updated in 2013 from the 2010 version.

Shelter

stratosphere-bivi-snugpak-b

Snugpak Stratosphere

A new meaning to bivvying.

DSC00067

DD hammock and Tatonka tarp

The only way to sleep out in summer (or winter).

Tipi/Lavvu

helsportlavvulight

helsport-varangercamp

For base camping I use either the Helsport Lavvu light (this can be backpacked it’s so light! - above) or the Helsprt Varanger camp. Both excellent tipi/lavvus.

Sleep

Exped down mat

Exped Down Mat

It’s more important to get insulation under you than on top. Exped is the way to go.

skyehigh 800

Alpkit down bags

Great price - great bag

Clothes

Woolpower top

Woolpower base layer

200g is enough to ward of the British winter

possummerinohat

Wool and possum fur hat

Great for sitting around the winter fire.

fjallforesthydratichat

Fjallaven

This is as close to a wide-brim hat as I get!

Hoggs flat hat

Hogs of Fife headwear

The Scots know something about weather – so why not?

balaclava

Woolpower balaclava

Essential winter hammock wear - do not enter banks wearing this.

classicsmock_02

Snowsled

Not the cheapest ventile about – but if its good enough for Ran Fiennes, it’s good enough for me.

Deet hinter gamestalker-II-anorak-camo

Deer Hunter Gamestalker 2 Smock.

If your going to go cammo – go Deerhunter or Mad Dog. I love this smock for its in-built mossy net and large horizontal front pocket.

vivo offroad

Vivo Off-Roads

Excellent boot boot for trackers! No padding or lumps and bumps. As close to barefoot as you’ll get. Brilliant protection from thorns and 100% waterproof.

Buff

Buff

Multi-functional head or neckwear. I think I'll get this colour!

Flektrousers

Flektarn Army Surplus Trousers

I can’t see the point of spending out lots of dosh for quality trousers when most of the time I’m grubbing about on the floor. These should cost you no more than £15 a time.

Food / Cooking / Water

Bushbuddy

Bushbuddy stove & Crusader cup

Natural fuel and a stainless receptacle

mini trangia

Mini Trangia

Lightweight and reliable meths cookset . Take the burner out and add it to the tracpac billy and bushbuddy. Voila!

Primus eta

Primus ETA Stove

This is the only gas stove I own. It’s ultra-efficient but tends to be temperamental when the gas is getting low. Good for base-camp stuff.

Litech frying pan

Primus Litech Frying pan

Probably the most versatile piece cookware you’ll ever have.

nato water

Nato water bottle

Mine says 1976. I was issued it when I joined the British Army - and it's still going. Use as a hot water bottle in winter!

tracpacbillieset

Tracpac billy set

What more do you want for £14-00? I use the smallest one. The others can be made into hobo stoves.

Carry

Sabre75

Karrimor Sabre 75

So versatile – add side pockets and you’ve got 100 litres - as long as you're not walking too far!

CamelbakCldWker

Camelbak Cloudwalker

Technical lightweight daysack. I always come back to this as a light daysack.

Tools

clipper

Frosts Clipper

Excellent knife for under £10 - I still use mine.

Leatherman-Charge-TTi

Leatherman Charge TTI

Always in my possible pouch.

Brusletto Stromeng

Bruseletto Leuku

Simple, cheap and effective large knife.

Bahco Folding Saw This is an excellent piece of kit and I never leave home without it. It usually resides in my tool pack or shoulder bag. I tend to use this more than the axe for cutting green wood.

sfa

Ganfors Bruks

Still the best axe around.

ekanordic2

EKA Nordic W11

Great all round sub-£100 bushy style knife

Utilities

pb207

PB 207 blue flame lighter

Saves rubbing two bits of wood together

Alpkit Gamma headtorch.

Red Green and white LEDs in one torch. HOW MUCH!! £12.50! I’ll have two!

No comments: