Sunday 5 August 2012

Alone in the Woods

It’s great what I do with Woodlife Trails with all the shows and courses throughout the summer; but sometimes I do regret not being able to wander through the woods as often as I would like.

IMG_4292

I usually take the odd day off from work; but this year, even that has been difficult with a new high profile and demanding role.

So I was quite glad that I managed to get away into the woods this morning completely on my own.

It was a beautiful morning, but I knew this would be short-lived; so I made the most out of walking quietly through the woodland to see what I could find.

IMG_4294

My first thoughts were how hard and heavy I was stepping through the landscape and how quickly I was walking. You soon forget how to move properly through the landscape after a while. I worked out it was in March when I last set foot in these woods. I slowed down and my steps became lighter. I was rewarded by sneaking up to within a few feet of a squirrel until I stepped on a dry stick!

A small herd of deer also noticed my out of practice stalking technique and watched with seeming amusement as I trundled past their lay-up.

After a couple more sit spots, I seemed to be a little more at ease and began to become part of the wood again. My mind wandered and my thoughts became clear as I zoned-in. If nothing else it was a well-needed relaxing few hours alone in the woodland.

No comments: