Sunday 11 March 2012

Evidence of Early Spring

The temperature is beginning to rise and spring is just around the corner. There was plenty of evidence of this as I walked around the local fields and woods.

In early February, even as snow lay on the ground, we could see hazel catkins…

…but now willow buds are also showing.

Nettles and Arum lily are pushing through the floor of the woods.

Dog violet and Ground ivy are the only plants in flower in my area at the moment.

Wandering along one of the tracks, I just managed to see two Muntjac following each other into the scrub. They are rarely seen together unless they are about to mate. Unlike other deer, they mate all year round.

There was evidence of the ever present squirrel. The badgers at the local sett have also been busy which is an indicator that there may be cubs underground.

While having a rest, I also saw a small stoat, probably a female. She was too quick for me to capture her on film. Hares were running after each other in the field, but I didn’t see any of the famous boxing behaviour.

I had some good bird sightings as well. The buzzard pair were using the warm weather to ride on the thermals and I spooked a Woodcock. It took off from the ground with its distinctive wing clapping sound and darted in and out of the trees and away over the field.

Over the years I’ve watched Barn owls bringing up their young in a particular area. Sadly, they have not nested there for the last couple of years although they still quarter the local fields. Today I went to the area and picked up some pellets and picked out a few small mammal skulls. The bottom picture shows you that it’s almost impossible to tell different owl species apart from their pellets ; so don’t let anyone tell you they can! These are all from a Barn owl.

The warm weather also brought out  the insects. This shield bug was quite happy to warm himself on my rucksack…

…and there were a huge number of ladybirds waking from their slumber.

Form now on, there will be no stopping nature on her course towards rebirth. Personally, I can’t wait.

Thanks for the visit.

No comments: