Sunday 18 September 2011

A Day in Poor Park

IMGA0464

It seemed like an eternity since I was in Poor Park woods. I was quite surprised to see many of the trees in the woods turning to an autumn hue, especially the towering poplars, whose top-most leaves have already turned a golden yellow. The blackberries are all spent and there was a slight musty smell that always pre-empts the onset of autumn.

IMGA0465

I was greeted by a doe and two young fallows already in their dark winter coats. As they spotted me they ran to the east. I tried to cut them off by doing a loop to the south and coming up on the east side. I laid in wait, but they had obviously stopped just out of sight to the north. I stalked up on the east side northwards to meet them, but they had cut back south west and into some dense woodland. I had the choice of looping around to the north-west at the risk of giving myself away by being upwind, or work my way through the woodland, directly following their tails.

I chose the latter option. Despite moving quickly, I didn’t gain on the small group, and even though I was following accurately (judging by the fresh fewmets) I wasn’t able to get any closer to them. I gave up near one of my regular rest spots.

IMGA0475

My next project was to have a look at a new stove Ben Probst had sent me called the Folding Firebox (http://www.foldingfirebox.com/) This is a market that appears appears saturated with wood-burners like the honey stove, bushbuddy, bushcooker, pocketcooker and a few others. I will do a full review mid week on video; however, I was initially impressed with this very smart, innovative firebox.

IMGA0473

It is pretty heavy though,and I think this may be it’s main drawback for those who like to keep their weight down.

IMGA0467

My excursion in Poor Park woods continued coming across a classic fox kill site and …

IMGA0469

…a fresh badger latrine, which proves the badgers are still using the woods, even if they aren’t permanently located in them.

I finished off the day by laying down just off a cross-track and falling asleep in the late summer sunshine. I came round to see two fallow does about 30 yards away. I didn’t have the energy to scrabble for the camera. I just watched them slowly wander along the trail and skip across the cross-track and into the denser woodland.

After they had gone, I collected up my small rucksack and made my way back to the car. There wouldn’t be that many more fine, warm days  left this year. I was glad I had made the most of this one.

Thanks for the visit.

No comments: