Sunday 15 May 2011

Trailing Fallow Deer

IMGA0033

There’s still no sign of any significant rain here in the east of England but the temperatures are down to a  more a seasonal norm. No courses or shows for Woodlife Trails this weekend so it was time to chill out in Poor Park woods.

I didn’t expect to bump into the fallow deer so soon, especially since I hadn’t seen them for a while. I had lowered my profile but they were still quite suspicious. I tried to find a way around them but I was stuck behind a clump of trees. They moved off at a trot and I went to head them off.

IMGA0037

I was quite aware that they would suddenly double back; so I did the same and, after ten minutes or so, I found them in a small clearing amongst the pines.

[vid 1]

They had spotted me again although I had kept low but they didn’t immediately run. Again, I wasn’t in the best position so all I could do was sit and observe. I’m always amazed at how keen their senses are; but it’s no real surprise considering they’ve been hunted by man for a thousand years.  

[vid 2]

After about ten minutes, they trotted off to the south of the woods. Instead of following them, I looked for the fresh sign they left behind. It was hard to ascertain any tracks in the dry conditions. The light brown shiny fewments, or pellets, were there to confirm what I already knew.

IMGA0029

The damp ground showed where the deer had urinated. Looking at the position of the fewments compared to the dampness, I would say I was looking at a doe.

I was pretty much near the edge of the woods. I didn’t really want to push then out of the woods if they weren’t already out, so there was only one thing to do…

IMGA0040

Have lunch!

IMGA0039

The clouds threatened rain so I put up the poncho.

I’ve changed my stove around and gone back to the bushbuddy with trangia burner combo. They both fit exactly into the Snowpeak 900. The bushbuddy gives an additional option if I run out of fuel.

IMGA0041

I tried out the bushbuddy in wood burning mode to brew a second cup of coffee. I must admit, this is a very flexible cooking combination. With the trangia burner, it’s a pretty unbeatable combination.

IMGA0049

My attention went back to the fallow. As I suspected, they hadn’t run far but they had run out of the woods and taken up a typical position on a small ridge. Even though I was a good 400 yards away, they still spotted me coming out of the woods. Again I was at a disadvantage. Your call, Pablo. what now?

[vid 3]

I tacked to the west behind a hedgerow, but I ran out of hedge. I couldn’t stalk across the field so I made my way back to my original position. This was getting frustrating.

The woods were my only hope; so I went back in and walked quickly to a point almost adjacent to them.

[vid 4]

It was a good, but not as near as I wanted. I trotted further up and poked my head through the wood. That was better! A good view about 30 yards away, but something had spooked them and this time it wasn’t me!

[vid 5]

I had to be content with what I had. I had trailed them for 4 hours (apart from lunch) in and out of the woods. In a vain hope that they would return to the wood, I settled  down on the outskirts to wait for their return. I never knew if they came by. I fell asleep!

Coming soon… Badger Project. Are there any cubs this year?

Thanks for the visit.

No comments: