Sunday 9 January 2011

The Fallow and the Fence

Last post I told you about my success in finding a hole in the fence where fallow deer where entering an area where they are not particularly welcome.

Having found the hole, our next mission was to confirm that they were using the hole to get in and out. Finally, we need to get rid of them preferably without culling.

IMGA0703

My first few attempts at sitting up and watching for them ended in failure. I was well hidden by some bits of junk metal and I had deployed some vanilla essence to try to attract them; unfortunately they did not take the bait.

My next idea was to deploy the camtrap. Over 5 days I got some interesting footage. Lots of movement around the area and strange  interest in the cam itself, but no evidence that they were coming in – or going out for that matter.

The last few days I’ve tried to bait them out. A nice little mixture of yummy deer food including apples and veg with a good dollop of salt. And guess what? Nothing! For the last two nights the camera hasn’t even triggered. No-one likes my food let alone the animals it seems. Anyway, I’ll leave it as is for a while longer and see what happens.

Thanks for the visit.

No comments: