Sunday 19 September 2010

State of Mind

I’ve been a little out of sorts in the last few weeks both domestically and at work. You may have noticed that some posts have also been devoid of any reasonable wildlife sightings. I attribute the latter to the former.

IMG_2700

This may seem strange, but I think that if you go to the woods a bit pent up and anxious, this state of mind can be sensed by the wildlife. That’s why I usually zone-in just after I get into the woods. Obviously, this hasn’t worked during the last few weeks and on reflection, I was aware that I was still wandering around the woods not concentrating on anything but work.

IMG_2622

This weekend, I realised that another event-less weekend of wildlife sightings would just about take the biscuit. When I considered this, and attempted to try and fully immerse myself in the woodland and clear my mind of the baggage of normal life.

IMG_2697

Now, call it a coincidence, but everything seemed better and after a session of what I suppose was akin to deep meditation, things started to happen. Firstly a fox came into view, albeit a distance away followed by a muntjac, which ignored my presence and came straight towards me before turning off into the brush.

IMG_2707

The dragonflies at Broaks wood were getting thin on the ground. There were a few hawkers around and a couple of common darters. The darters seemed to be very slow and I saw at least two getting caught up in well placed spiders webs.

 

On Saturday, I got close to another munjac (I crept up to within 10 yards) and took some footage of a sparrowhawk hunting in Poor Park woods.

I hope you like the new look site. You’ll see why it’s like this very soon.

Thanks for the visit.

No comments: