Sunday 1 November 2009

Anniversary

A not quite so happy anniversary this weekend as one year ago, I ruptured my Achilles tendon. It's been a long haul getting it fixed and after a re-rupture in January, I was finally signed off by the physiotherapists only two weeks ago.

IMG_0179

It was a scary thought (and not just because it was Halloween) that this time last year, I was sitting in a plaster cast wondering how I was going to get to the woods let alone to Africa.

I will never forget everyone's kindness in sending best wishes, DVDs, books and even a walking stick from Ashley at Natural Bushcraft. The only benefit of that experience was that I started making leather bits and pieces.

IMG_0208

I was probably a bit critical of the NHS at the start and rightly so with a series of appalling administrative errors, but they certainly came through at the end by providing top class after-care in the form of two wonderful physios, Hazel and Suzie. I know they will be following my adventures in Namibia starting next Saturday. They went out of their way and battled to get me fit knowing I was making the trip.

Squirrel

This weekend, as with last weekend, I was striving to get some photos of the rut in my local woods. After identifying the stand, I waited and waited and waited for some activity, but only saw fleeting glimpses of the dominant buck. The does were also elusive and I just couldn't get any decent shots at all.

Young Fallow Buck

This year's rut didn't seem to have the same intensity as it did last year, where many tree trunks were frayed and gouged. This year there was none. I tried various tactics such as stalking, laying up and high seats but it wasn't to be. And now I've run out of time before I go to Namibia next week. Never mind. There's always next year.

Mid week post - 'The Final Countdown'.

Thanks for the visit.

Pablo.

No comments: