Friday 20 February 2009

Crafty Stuff

Well, I've put the wood carving project away for a while. I'm going to have to wait until I get some more wood before I attempt to improve on my diabolical efforts of carving wood spirits.

I did get a kind message from Dave from Woodwosecarving . He offered assistance and I think I'm going to need it!

IMGA0585

Over the last few weeks I've been collecting a few leather working bits and bobs. My first attempt at leather working was to try and make a sheath for the EKA Nordic W11.

I generally copied the design of the sheath that came with the knife, but I wanted to add a firesteel holder and dangler belt loop. So I duly cut out the bits. I nearly forgot the welt  but luckily remembered before I started sewing it all together.

I used the edge beveller to er... bevel the edges. Perhaps I should have done this later.

IMGA0573

I then made a groove with this adjustable groove making thingy. This enabled me to use a smart-looking wheel whatsit. This makes an indent in the leather to assist in making holes for the stitching.

IMGA0576

After wetting the leather, I used some embossing stamps and tools to make a pattern.

IMGA0577

I then folded over the sheath, added the welt and the firesteel holder. It was difficult to hold it all together and perhaps I should have made the holes first or used glue to hold it together. In the end I used a couple of bulldog clips to clamp the edges while I made the holes.

IMGA0578

I then stitched it together using pre-waxed thread and two needles. Apparently this is called double-stitch or saddle stitch. I'm not showing you the back of the sheath because I made a mistake and missed a hole. It looks crap but it's doing it's job.

I trimmed up the edges (perhaps now was the time to use the edge beveller) and after wetting the edges again, I used a metal spoon to smooth them out.

IMGA0598

I made a dangler belt loop and fixed it to the sheath with leather thong. I used a cool but expensive multi-punch hole maker to punch out the holes.

IMGA0586

I've decided that the stuff I will wear myself (if it's good enough of course) will be dyed a tan colour to keep it all consistent. I thought it would be an idea to bring out the embossing with antique finish paste. I read this in a book. The idea is to give the leatherwork an old, distressed look (like its owner).

IMGA0596

I re-wet the leather and shaped the sheath around the knife . This is called wet-forming and should make the knife fit snugly in the sheath. This should perhaps be done before the dyeing. I'm going to have to get a list from someone to tell me what order is best to do things.

IMGA0590

After leaving it over night to dry naturally, I rubbed it gently with some sandpaper and polished and waxed the sheath to give it a little waterproofing . I will buy some natural polish later to shine it up a touch.

IMGA0595

I'm quite pleased with the result and had great fun doing it. I made lots of mistakes and certainly I could have done a few things differently but not bad for a first attempt. Better than the wood spirits anyway!

No comments: