Wednesday 29 October 2008

A Must For All Hammock Users

If, like me, you're going to spend another winter tree-dwelling I might have a couple of solutions to that four letter word that might otherwise spoil a great time in the woods... c-o-l-d!

DSC01000

Obviously, we know we must have good insulation under the hammock. No problem. Some use a hammock underblanket but I use a Thermarest. I find an underblanket is a little too bulky and it's really like lugging a second sleeping bag around with you. But each to their own and if it provides a good nights rest, then go for it.

The second is a darned good sleeping bag. In winter, I revert to the 58 pattern British Army sleeping bag (the old Green Maggot). Designed in 1958, when there was no such thing word as Ultra-light, it's huge, bulky and heavy but it certainly does the trick with an alleged rating of down to -12C. It's also got a centre zip as well.

I've been to -5C; I sleep cold and this is the only bag I've had no issues with. I am, however, on the lookout for a lighter, slimmer version.

58patternbag

I've also seen a couple of people lay down a thin sheet of silver foil under the sleeping bag. Something like a fold-up emergency blanket. I'm going to try this too. Not sure of the theory behind it, but must be something to do with the insulation.

The next item is a must! I tried it out last weekend when the temperature went down to 4C and it works a treat. A simple balaclava. Yes it looks scary in the cold light of day (did I say that "C"- word again?) But when it's dark - no-one can hear you scream laugh at you.

balaclava

I don't particularly like my head covered by a sleeping bag hood and a hat more often than not falls off during the night. But this is not a problem with a balaclava. You can cover the nose and mouth if required (it's not a good idea to breathe into a sleeping bag as it causes moisture in the bag) or just have the balaclava around the neck, chin and head.

You can even use it as just a neck covering during the day or pull it over your head to protect the ear 'oles if the wind gets up. I think we know that the head and neck are major areas for heat loss and in extreme cases a bit of frost nip will target the end of your nose and ears.

My choice of balaclava was a WoolPower (Ullfrotte) version from Ray Mears' site at £12-00. The best £12-00 I've spent this year!

Thanks for visiting,

Pablo.

No comments: